#1 By: Praful Mathur, June 13th, 2013 13:48
Please register with Gravatar so we can all see your pretty face
Join the meetup: http://www.meetup.com/self-driving-vehicle
This is a live document, please check regularly
More info: http://blog.derivatived.com/posts/First-of-Many
There's 3 key pieces:
- Virtual World - This is a software system where we test out AI, without blowing up cars
- AI - The actual software that runs in the car to control the operations: steering, acceleration, and braking
- Sensor Car - Equipping the car to be fully aware of its surrounding for the AI to operate appropriately
Where we are:
- Virtual World - The software is in a prototype phase and we're going to have it on github with some examples by summer
- AI - No work has been done by us, but there's ton of resources outside especially the Udacity course: https://www.udacity.com/course/cs373
- Sensor Car - Figure out the appropriate sensors to use and then equip the car on July 15
Sept 1, 2013 -
- Virtual World - Hosted Virtual Worlds
- AI - All the Udacity course material implemented in the Virtual World car
November 15, 2013 -
- Sensor Car - 10,000 miles of data from sensor cars
March 1, 2014 -
- Virtual World - Have a leaderboard and active discussions on algorithms i.e. Quantopian.com
- AI - Have 10 GB of data to use to backtest algorithms for the road trip
- Sensor Car - Assess if we need more sensors, implement mechanical controls on the car
- Optimizing - Begin optimizing the car to execute at highway speeds
September 1, 2014 -
- Highway the car! (It says 12/31 as the worst case).
- Begin work on city driving
#4 By: Shawn Chen, September 27th, 2013 18:00
A rough sketch of the projected requirements, and how people can help. This will be repeated on the wiki and eventual website. Adapted from previous meetup on the topic and the proposed architecture (http://www.sherecar.org/t/architecting-the-system/55/5)
To divide the required work into more manageable chunks, the initiative will start with separate projects centered about a few general topics:
- Sensors: Gathering data
- Processing: Understanding the information
- Planning: What to do with the knowledge
- Actuating: Doing the plan
- Reacting: Adjusting for feedback
The current projects (and how to participate) are:
- A vision algorithm platform:
- Still under construction, the page will eventually allow users to discuss and propose algorithms over a common through the page
- The current prototype shows a before/after image process that accentuates roadmarkings
- Building actuators for a car
- A movement to encourage people to film their drive and share it
- Possibly work with GPS to create enhanced mapping systems
Online discussion is centered here, physical through Meetup, and development on GitHub.
There will be soon be separate sections for people interested in learning and veterans who want to start working on something.
#5 By: Shamoon Siddiqui, September 28th, 2013 14:03
I'm looking for people that are interested in joining the Actuation Group, so please drop me a line there if interested
#6 By: Shawn Chen, October 23rd, 2013 17:35
We’re solidifying the direction of ShereCar and here’s our current plan of action:
ShereCar will consist of two major components:
- Building a community for automation roboticists
- Developing automation packages for people and companies
For the first component, we've set up the ShereCar forums here, and will host occasional meetups. We’re looking into developing platforms (such as the Vision Exploratorium) to enhance these discussions. We also plan to start a blog on automation topics, so look for that as well.
For the second component, we’re going to start with something accessible that still covers self driving car needs: Kinect. The device uses both a camera and infra-red point clouds, so it would be a good entry point for vision automation.
Another project being developed is the actuation group. See the above post for more details.
#7 By: Praful Mathur, October 23rd, 2013 18:17
The Kinect is helpful for creating pared down models and testing algorithms that will eventually go into the larger mission-critical system.
#8 By: Shawn Chen, December 23rd, 2013 15:27
The ShereCar discourse board will be refocused more around projects. Currently, discussion is too fractured, and we want ShereCar to be a place people can use as an aid for making autonomous systems.
We'll be changing the topic categories to:
- Project: Talk about an Automation project you're working on or want to work on. See if people have feedback, or want to help out
- Tech: Talk about a general automation topic. Help expand knowledge about making self driving vehicles
- External: Post a link to something interesting and talk about it
- Outreach: Meetups and other venues to connect
- Core: ShereCar administrative tasks. If you want to work with us on this platform, let us know
The Autonomous Toy Car project:
Building a self driving car currently requires more resources than we have available. To help push the community forward, we will start with a more manageable autonomous toy car project. We'll have the full details in a few days, but we'll be putting together a design/timeline for the rest of December and then making it Janurary.